ßäåðíà ô³çèêà òà åíåðãåòèêà
1818-331X (Print), 2074-0565 (Online)
Determination of hydrogen content in titanium hydrides using neutron filtered beams
Î. Î. Gritzay1,*, Ð. À. Drutskyy2, Î. I. Kalchenko1, Î. I. Îliynyk3
1 Institute for Nuclear Research, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
2 Taras Shevchenko National University, Kyiv, Ukraine
3 O. O. Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv, Ukraine
*Corresponding author. E-mail address: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract: Method for nondestructive analysis of stoichiometric content in titanium hydrides using neutron filtered beams at the Kyiv research reactor is presented. Method is based on analysis of total neutron cross sections σt(obs) of titanium hydride samples observed in experiment using transmission technique. Computer calculations for finding optimal energies and widths of neutron beams for this method were carried out. It was shown that the measurements and further analysis of the observed total neutron cross sections σt(obs) for the titanium hydride samples may allow to receive the relation value metal/hydrogen in hydride with accuracy ∼ 1.0 % using neutron filtered beam with average energy 2 keV. Presented method can be applied for the investigation of hydrides of any other metals.
Keywords: reactor neutrons, hydrogen, titanium hydride, neutron filtered beams, total neutron cross sections.References:
1. P.K. Khabibullaev, B.G. Skorodumov. Nuclear-Physical Methods for Determining Hydrogen in Materials (Tashkent: FAN, 1985) 96 p. (Rus)
2. P. M. Vorona, O. I. Kalchenko, V. G. Krivenko. Neutron spectrometry method for determination of hydogen content in metal hydrides. Yaderna Fizyka ta Energetyka (Nucl. Phys. At. Energy) 15(2) (2014) 189. (Ukr) http://jnpae.kinr.kiev.ua/15.2/Articles_PDF/jnpae-2014-15-0189-Vorona.pdf
3. O.O. Gritzay, V.V. Kolotyi, O.I. Kaltchenko. Neutron filters at the Kyiv research reactor. Preprint KINR-01-6 (Kyiv, 2001).
4. PREPRO 2015. ENDF/B Pre-processing codes (ENDF/B-VII Tested). Nuclear Data Section IAEA, Vienna, Austria. http://www-nds.iaea.org/public/endf/prepro2015
5. Î.Î. Gritzay, M.M. Vakulenko. Development of the code for filter calculation. Proc. of the 4-th Int. Conf. "Current Problems in Nuclear Physics and Atomic Energy", Kyiv, 3 - 7 Sept., 2012 (Kyiv, 2013) p. 426. http://www.kinr.kiev.ua/NPAE-Kyiv2012/docs/NPAE-Kyiv2012-Part%202.pdf