ßäåðíà ô³çèêà òà åíåðãåòèêà
1818-331X (Print), 2074-0565 (Online)
Radiation embrittlement of reactor pressure vessel materials of Rivne NPP unit 1 due to re-irradiation after recovery annealing
M. G. Holiak1, G. P. Grynchenko2, V. M. Revka1, O. V. Trygubenko1,2,*, Yu. V. Chaykovskyi1, L. I. Chyrko1, O. V. Shkapyak1
1 Institute for Nuclear Research, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
2 SS “Scientific and Technical Center”of SE “NNEGC “Energoatom”, Kyiv, Ukraine
*Corresponding author. E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract: The results of surveillance-specimens testing of re-irradiated after recovery annealing reactor pressure vessel (RPV) metal of Rivne NPP unit 1 are presented. The radiation strengthening and shift of critical temperature of brittleness for RPV base metal and weld metal have been defined using tension and Charpy impact tests. The comparison of the experimental results and irradiation re-embrittlement models has been made. Based on summary analysis of three surveillance-specimens sets test results, it is shown that re-embrittlement degree after recovery annealing is not higher than that under primary irradiation. The paper also reveals the effect of phosphorus content in the RPV weld metal on Charpy upper shelf energy.
Keywords: WWER-440 reactor pressure vessel, recovery annealing, surveillance-specimens, radiation embrittlement, critical temperature of brittleness, Charpy curve, upper shelf energy.References:
1. V.Ya. Berkovich et al. Recovery annealing of VVER-440 reactor vessels. In: Proc. of Joint-stock Company Experimental Design Bureau “Gidropress” 14 (2013). (Rus) http://www.gidropress.podolsk.ru/files/publication/st-2013/documents/96.pdf
2. The program of surveillance-specimens to accompany the operation of the reactor vessel 1 of the Rivne NPP unit for the period after the recovery annealing. Inventory No. 180-14/87, RRC KI (Moskva, 2010). (Rus)
3. A. Chernobaeva et al. Material characterization and selection for the international research project “PRIMAVERA”. Intern. Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 84 (2007) 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2006.09.016
4. H.-W. Viehrig, U. Rindelhardt, J. Schuhnecht. Postmortem Investigation of NPP Graifswald WWER-440 Reactor pressure Vessel. In: Proc. of 19th Intern. Conf. on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, Toronto, Canada, August 12 - 17, 2007, paper 1458.
5. Yu.A. Nikolaev, A.V. Nikolaeva, Ya.I. Shtrombakh. Radiation embrittlement of low-alloy steels. Intern. Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 79 (2002) 619. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(02)00065-0
6. A. Kryukov. State of the art VVER-RPV radiation embrittlement and mitigation. In: Proc. of the IAEA meeting, Russia, Vladimir, 1997.
7. Ya.I. Shtrombakh, Yu.A. Nikolaev. Monitoring of Radiation Embrittlement of the First and Second Generation of VVER RPV Steels. Journal of ASTM International 4(5) (2007) 1. https://doi.org/10.1520/JAI100696
8. Reconstruction technology of metal surveillance-specimens samples of VVER-1000 reactor pressure vessels: Report. INR NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv, 2009) 14 p. (Rus)
9. Eric van Walle. Recommendation for Reconstitution of Non-Irradiated and Irradiated Charpy-size Specimens. Final Report, R 3450. Commission of the European committee. Forth Framework Programme on Nuclear Fission Safety. Resque: Reconstitution Techniques Qualification and Evaluation to study Aging Phenomena of Nuclear Pressure Vessel Materials. RMR, SCK CEN, Mol, Belgium (June, 2000) 29 p.
10. National Standards of Ukraine EN 10045-1: 2006. Metal materials. Sharp Shock Bending Test. Part 1. Test method (EN 10045-1: 1990, IDT). (Ukr) http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=76799
11. Rules and Regulations of Nuclear Energy Ã 7-002-86. Standards for Calculating the Strength of Equipment and Pipelines of Nuclear Power Plants. (Rus) http://www.gostrf.com/normadata/1/4293842/4293842075.pdf
12. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Title 10 of the Code Federal Regulations, Part 50, Appendix G, Fracture Toughness Requirements, Office of the Federal, National Archives and Records Administration, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC-1995. https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part050/part050-appg.html
13. Safety Standards of the Nuclear Safety Standards Commission, KTA 3203 (6/01), Surveillance of the Irradiation Behaviour of Reactor Pressure Vessel Materials of LWR Facilities (Cologne, 2001) 15 p. http://www.kta-gs.de/e/standards/3200/3203_engl_2001_06.pdf
14. Unified Procedure for Lifetime Assessment of Components and Piping in WWER NPPs - VERLIFE, European Commission. Final Report. Contract No. FIKS-CT-2001-20198, September 2003 - 2008. https://cordis.europa.eu/docs/projects/files/FIKS/FIKS-CT-2001-20198/verlife_projrep_en.pdf
15. National Standards of Ukraine EN 10002-1:2006. Metal materials. Tensile test. Part 1. Test method at room temperature (EN 10002-1: 2001, IDT). (Ukr) http://online.budstandart.com/ua/catalog/doc-page?id_doc=60342
16. A set of garlands with surveillance-specimens to accompany the operation of the reactor vessel of unit No. 1 of the Rivne NPP for the period after the recovery annealing. Form 180.1 / D1050-2010. (Rus)
17. The study of the surveillance-specimens of the Rivne NPP unit 1 (set IA-LK-2) after two years of exposure. Report. Inventory No. 220-14 / 61 (Moskva, 2014) 97 p. (Rus)
18. CTT 02-98 “Method for determining the critical brittleness temperature characteristics of the reactor vessel during its operation after annealing” (Moskva, 1998). (Rus)
19. J. Kohopaa, R. Ahlstrand. Re-embrittlement behaviour of VVER-440 reactor pressure vessel weld material after annealing. Intern. Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 77 (2000) 575. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(00)00029-6